BioEngineering Summer Training (BEST) Programme 2020
Dear Applicants to the BioEngineering Summer Training (BEST) Programmes,
We regret to inform all of you that the BEST programme for the year 2020 has been cancelled. This decision was taken in response to the situation brought about by COVID-19, and to ensure your safety as well as the safety of our students and staff. We understand that many of you were very keen on an opportunity to intern with us, and apologize for being unable to provide that opportunity this year. We hope you understand the reason behind this decision, and request each of you to stay safe and continue to practice physical distancing.
We wish each one of the applicants and their families the very best in these trying times.
In the summer of 2015, a new undergraduate summer training programme was initiated at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. The aim of the programme is to introduce undergraduates to the rapidly and continuously evolving field of Bioengineering, with an opportunity to work alongside researchers involved in this field. The eight-week programme combines hands-on research training with a diverse set of didactic and research lectures. The tentative programme for the BEST fellows involves:
- Summer research project with a Bioengineering faculty mentor
- A research report and presentations by the fellows summarizing the research performed by them at the end of the programme
- Short didactic lecture modules on : Biomechanics, Tissue Engineering, Systems Biology and Neural Engineering
- Weekly research lectures by Bioengineering faculty, including special lectures on science ethics, technical writing, and intellectual property
- Interaction sessions with PhD students, Faculty and other researchers
BSSE acknowledges the generous donation of Dr. Anita and Animesh Mukherjee towards supporting the BEST programme and the BEST programme is also supported in part by Aniket Singh Internship programme.
BEST fellows, please note:
- The programme is open to Undergraduates in their second or third year (at the time of application) or students in the first year of a Master's programme (at the time of application).
- Students from all disciplines with an interest in interdisciplinary bioengineering research are encouraged to apply.
- Research work will be carried out in your mentor/adviser's laboratory. You are expected to do assigned research work and submit a final report at the end of the program, as well as make a final presentation. Amount of time to be spent in the laboratory will be decided by your mentor/adviser.
- In addition to research work in the assigned laboratory, attending BEST lectures, demonstration and other activities is compulsory.
- Attending a fun one-day retreat organized by BSSE is compulsory.
If you successfully complete the program and your research progress in the host laboratory is satisfactory, then you will receive a fellowship amount of Rs.15,000.00 at the end of the program (3 weeks after 24 July 2020). At the time of registration, you are advised to give an undertaking that you will spend full duration (2 months) of the intern’s program in IISc campus.
Report and Presentation Template
BEST Fellows 2019
BEST Fellows of 2019
- Akashnathan A, IIT Madras
- Ananya Rajagopal, PES University, Bangalore
- Apoorv Khurana, VIT, Vellore
- Armaan Aditya, MIT, Manipal
- Balaram Vishnu Subramani, IISER Thiruvananthapuram
- Drishti Ramesh Megalmani, BMSIT, Bangalore
- Hargun Kaur, TIET, Patiala
- Hritwik Kumar, IIEST, Shibpur
- Keerthana R, RVCE, Bangalore
- Kumar Mangalam, SRM University
- Manusmriti Agarwal, NSUT, Delhi
- Maria John, IISER, Trivandrum
- Nivedha Murali, SJCE, Chennai
- Palash Sharma, SUAS, Indore
- Rakesh Kumar Pradhan, NIT, Rourkela
- Reshma P Pradeep, IISER Thiruvananthapuram
- Saptashwa Dutta, SRM University
- Sharadhi U Bharadwaj, BMSIT, Bangalore
- Srishti Chauhan, Barkatullah University, Bhopal
- Sujeet Kumar Verma, NIT, Rourkela
Click here for BEST 2019 schedule.
BEST Fellows of 2018
- Deepthi P Vinod, VIT Vellore
- Sheetal Chowdhury, NIT Rourkela
- Georgy Jacob, IIT Kharagpur
- Anubhav Kumar Singh, BIT Mesra
- Raveesh Sinha, NITK Surathkal
- Sohini Chakraborty, NIT Rourkela
- Akhila Parthasarathy, PES University
- Satwik Adusumilli, NIT Rourkela
- Devashish Sen, MNIT Allahabad
- Aditya Jeevannavar, IIT Madras
Click here for BEST 2018 schedule.
BEST Fellows 2017
BEST Fellows of 2017
- Manish Ayushman, IIT Kharagpur
- Meenakshi A., PESIT, Bangalore
- Amritha K. Bhat, PESIT, Bangalore
- Rahul Choudhary, IIT-BHU, Varanasi
- Varsha Gadiyar, PESIT, Bangalore
- Vimal Kumar, IIT Kharagpur
- Shivam Ohri, NIT Durgapur
- Nidheesh P., NIT Tiruchirapalli
- Shaurya Singh Dabas, PESIT, Bangalore
- Dennis C. Thomas, IIT Kharagpur
Click here for BEST 2017 schedule.
BEST Fellows of 2016
Click here for BEST 2016 schedule.
BEST Fellows of 2015
- Akshay Kumar, IIT Guwahati
- Anisha Prasad, M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- Arunima Sharma, IIT-BHU, Varanasi
- Amar Dhwaj, IIIT Allahabad
- Milind Singh, IIT Guwahati
- Komal Sharma, IIIT Allahabad
- Krishi Tata, IIT Madras
- Sayantan Dutta, IIT Kharagpur
- Vivek Rai, IIT Kharagpur
- Waseem Ahmad Bhat, IIT Guwahati
Click here for BEST 2015 schedule.
BEST+ Programme (in association with Christian Medical College, Vellore)
BEST+ programme is supported by the Margadarshi Fellowship to Prof. Sandhya S. Visweswariah
BEST+ Fellows 2019
BEST+ Fellows of 2019 (from CMC Vellore)
- Aashiya Bindra
- Anushka Kataria
- Hephzhibah Jenifer Thomas
- Haarini S
- K Shiny Simon
- Monica J
- Preetha Elizabeth
- Srividhya B
- Sudipti Shandilya
- Mahil Matthew peter
- Jeryl jacob
- Souradipta Banerjee
Click here for BEST+ 2019 projects and schedule
BEST+ Fellows of 2018 (from CMC Vellore)
- Chriset J
- Ashna Christine Phillips
- Noel Eappen
- Namitha Varghese
- Karen Samuel
- Priscilla Nethala
- Keval Pandya
- Alen Antony Joy
- Chris Sneha
- Ankit Raj
- Greeni Abraham
- Sourav Das
Click here for BEST+ 2018 schedule.
BEST+ Fellows 2018
BEST+ Fellows of 2017 (from CMC Vellore)
- Nalina Arunkumar
- Lalzikpuii Chhakchhuak
- Kapil Dani
- Ann Eappen
- James Emmanuel
- Aparna J.K.
- Vaikunth Ramesh
- Noella Sase
- Sheeba Sagar
- Soubhik Saha
- Parth Sharma
Click here for BEST+ 2017 schedule.
BEST+ Fellows 2017